Saturday, June 25, 2011

YW Camp Crafts

Girls camp here in UT is very different than it was in NY.  It's going to be very girly.  The stake is doing a "Happily Ever After" princess theme based on President Uchtdorf's talk.  We've spent more money on things that don't really matter than I'm used to.  The focus is still spiritual of course, but it's going to be fancy.  I'm our congregation's assistant camp director in charge of crafts.  Here are a couple things we've done and some that we will be doing at camp:


We already made lanterns during a weekly activity.  Our camp director found out about these online and I got to figure out how to make them.  I didn't want canning company logos on the jars, so fortunately, I found $.29 nameless canning jars at a thrift store.  Then I followed an on-line tutorial to learn how to attach the wire to the jar. Then you put on the design.  They suggest applying vinyl cutouts, but we used foam stickers and made some cutouts with clear contact paper.  You spray paint them with Valspar Frosting.  Then when they dry, you peel off the stickers and it leaves a clear design.  Some of the girls wanted to leave on their stickers, so we let them.  Inside, we put battery-powered votive candles.  Each girl made one. They will be fun to use at camp.
We're going to make flower and button rings at camp.  The flower rings were my second oldest daughter's idea-- very princessy.  You just snip the flower off with a wire cutter then attach it with a strong glue to ring blanks.  Quick and easy.  The button rings are pretty much the same technique, just snip off the button hole if it sticks out and glue it on.  We're also making button bracelets, friendship bracelets, and decorated-with-fabric-and-tulle flip flops.

We're also going to paint and decoupage on wooden blocks.  One of our helpers purchased the rights to some graphics we're going to use.  All the young women values are represented plus we have a bunch of princess graphics.  But we'll let them design and paint whatever they want.  Here is my example. Our ward's color is dark purple, so I thought I'd do a purple integrity example.

It's probably obvious, this blog is going to be quiet next week.

1 comment:

  1. These are great crafts! I love the glass lanterns. They are a great idea! I wish I had thought of something like this when I was having a big party in my backyard a few years ago. Sometimes I'm not very creative at coming up with new ideas - just rehashing ideas I've seen. Have fun at camp and bring lots of bug spray the mosquitoes are abundant!

    ReplyDelete