Thursday, June 2, 2011

Backyard Beauties


Mrs. Johnson liked to garden.  One of the fun things about buying a previously-owned home during the winter is discovering all the flower surprises in the spring and summer.  I don't know what kind of flowers these are, but they sure are pretty...

A fascinating thing just happened.  The word "columbines" was whispered to my mind.  I Googled them, and that is exactly what they are!  How did I know that?  Perhaps I "heard" it from my gardening relatives from days gone by.  I take no credit; my memory has been very slow these days and I don't know very many flower names.

Look how bushy big the Japanese maple looks?!  I'm still trying to figure out this little tree.  I will refrain from pruning it until late fall or winter like Lisa suggested.  It doesn't need any new branches.

2 comments:

  1. I love columbines. My favorites are the blue Rocky Mountain ones of Colorado. The yellow and yellow and orange ones I saw first in Salt Lake on childhood visits to my grandparents. I think I like the all yellow ones second best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Columbines are so beautiful! You have two beautiful varieties. The Japanese Maple looks so soft.

    ReplyDelete