Saturday, June 18, 2011

Quail in My Backyard

I was surprised this little guy let me get so close.  I was only about three feet away before he flew off the backyard fence.   My husband and I used to joke that the quail were our "neighborhood food storage" when we lived in this area six years ago.  Yesterday, my daughter saw a mommy, a daddy, and several baby quail dart across the street and into a neighbor's bush.  It sure would be nice to have a better camera.  This shot is zoomed in as far as I could go and doesn't really reflect how incredibly close we were to each other.  He was walking along the fence and watching me too.

2 comments:

  1. We have lots of quail in our neighborhood too, but I've never been able to photograph them. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE watching the quail. They are so beautiful and looks so soft. I love the way the dad's jump up high to overlook the brood and send out a message that danger is lurking. I saw a single baby today in the grass - about as tall as the grass. So adorable! I'm always amazed at how little they are and that they manage to survive! Although we often will watch a brood go from 9 or 10 to 2 or 3. Too many outdoor cats around!

    ReplyDelete