Monday, October 31, 2011

Fresh Warm Apples

Friday, I picked all the apples on our tree. I left some of the pecked ones for the birds. Then I tossed the overly-wormy and the rest of the bird-pecked apples into a big white bucket to throw out. The salvageable and edible ones, I gently placed in a big white bowl. I ended up with about 42 apples-- just the right amount. Sixteen of them were mostly unblemished and went in the fridge for whoever wants to eat them fresh. The rest I cored, skinned, and cut up into bite-sized pieces.  I threw the pieces into a pot and steamed them, intending to make applesauce. Their cooked, golden color warmed my heart. I decided not to smash them. I put some of them in a little bowl and sprinkled on cinnamon. It was a fabulous and satisfying snack on a cool afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. ok Deb - you missed your calling - you are an artist ! - Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of apples are they? I love freshly picked apples. You will be less satisfied with ones that have been in storage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what kind they are. I should take one over to Gerie and ask if she recognizes the variety. They're a unique flavor. We should have asked the previous owners of our home.

    ReplyDelete