Friday, October 28, 2011

Unpredictable




















(<--Stewart Falls  and  --> Fluffy weeds at the Jordan River Parkway)

Sometimes this world is hard, sometimes soft.

I've been struggling with some hard things and the unpredictability of life. I've also been reading about the tragic results of volcanoes that erupted in Colombia during the 80s and 90s.

The year I graduated from high school and started college, the entire village of Armero, Colombia was destroyed by the volcano Nevado del Ruiz. Because of poor equipment, not enough knowledge, and the lack of communication, many people lost their lives or were injured who could have been spared. The year I gave birth to our daughter who has Down Syndrome and Autism, scientists were injured and killed on the volcano Galeras. I don't remember hearing anything about either of those volcanic events.

I was in junior high and had recently experienced a disruptive and catastrophic move from Iowa to Utah the year Mt. St. Helens erupted. We heard a lot about it, but so much turmoil was going on in my own life that it wasn't until years later when my college roommate Margaret, who was from Seattle, talked about the event that I thought much about it at all. Proximity makes a difference. Margaret was killed in a car accident while we were still roommates-- less than a year after I met her.  When I think about volcanoes, I think about Margaret.

Volcanology has progressed a lot since the 80s and 90s. Now, scientists are more able to predict when an eruption will occur. Their equipment is more sophisticated, they know what to look for, and they constantly monitor the earth's activity. I am reassured. When we were visiting Yellowstone National Park last year and saw the geysers and other bubbling geothermal activity, I worried about imminent eruptions. Now I know more and worry less.  Visitors would not be allowed if there was any evidence of extreme danger. Even so, accidents still happen. Not everything is predictable.











Volcanoes are volatile, powerful, fascinating things. That's why every year in probably every elementary school around the country, at least one child creates a volcano that actually erupts with baking soda and vinegar, red food coloring, or other creative materials. Despite or maybe even because of their danger and unpredictability, volcanoes are popular.

Sometimes in life, I think it would be nice to know what to expect so I can be more prepared for the hard stuff. Other times, I'd rather not know so I can enjoy softer things with less worry.

3 comments:

  1. A little warning is nice so that we prepare our selves emotionally. However after taking the big hike through Mesa Verde I decided that sometimes I do much better not knowing what is coming. A big hill comes or a wall to climb and I just catch my breath and do it. If I were to go back to Mesa Verde I'm not sure I would choose that path again because now I know exactly what to expect and it seems like it would be too hard. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too tired for a thoughtful comment, but I wanted you to know I am reading and praying and pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your writing style in this thoughtful post. I like following the complex connections in people's thoughts. --David

    ReplyDelete