Thursday, October 27, 2011

Dying with Paint

At the "normal" school she attended in New York and also last year here in UT, they didn't dress up the teenagers for Halloween. Our daughter's new "special school" is having a Halloween parade today. My costume idea for her was simple: I bought cheap butterfly wings and a headband and thought I'd dress her in black and yellowy-orange to match. Easy! The best long-sleeved shirt I could find for her had100% cotton white sleeves that are almost like lace. I thought they'd look pretty and gossamer-like. In order to make them match the rest of the costume, I thought I'd dye them orange.

Unfortunately, our local grocery store carries every other color but orange.  This was yesterday and the parade was today.  I didn't have the desire or time to hunt for orange dye. What to do?

Then I remembered I have yellow-orange acrylic craft paint. I poured some into warm water and swished it around. Then I dunked just the sleeves and the bottom trim in the water, swished them around for a short while, and let them dry.  I didn't rinse; this wasn't a permanent fix.  They look more yellow than orange, especially in this picture, but they look much better than they did when they were white. Surprisingly, they aren't stiff at all.

I'm not sure I like the look. Maybe later today, I'll try dying the sleeves with black paint.

1 comment: