Friday, September 17, 2010

Put It Where You Use It

For those who have visited our NY kitchen, you know why the island was my favorite feature of the house.  I miss it.  Out of necessity, the table here has become my island. 

The scriptures were on the kitchen table when it was time to make dinner.  Books and food prep don't mix.  The built-in shelves in this kitchen (there are actually six of them) were mostly empty.  So I thought to myself, I wonder if the scriptures will fit on a shelf?  And they do, as long as they're turned sideways.  After the moment, I remembered the old organizing advice that you should store things where you use them.  We read scriptures in the kitchen, so this move made sense.  It definitely makes for quicker, easier cleanup.  I need to think of that more often.

The chickens on the top shelf belong to my brother and sister-in-law.  They left them here.  I'm glad they did, because they remind me of them (they raise chickens) and I think their pointy little heads-- the chickens' heads of course!-- are kinda cute.

2 comments:

  1. It's a challenge when you use one table for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but then you only have one surface to clean. I really like that part of it.

    ReplyDelete