Sunday, October 3, 2021

Snow Canyon Petrified Dunes Hike

We hiked to Jenny's Canyon first, but the lighting there wasn't great, so I didn't get many pictures. Then we went to the Sand Dunes Hike, but didn't go far because where we were wasn't like other dunes we've experienced. The sand dunes are living dunes with a lot of sagebrush growing in a lot of areas. I hardly recognized them as dunes at first. I had a feeling what I really wanted to see were the petrified dunes. I was right. This was my favorite hike at Snow Canyon. 


One of the things I enjoyed was how easy it was to climb around the dunes. The sandstone is gritty, so slipping isn't a constant concern. The trail is marked with periodic small domes with arrows showing the way to go. Unfortunately, some of these have been removed, but you can still find holes drilled where they used to be. It was fun to try to walk in a direction that made sense and to then discover a missing trail marker. 

The pictures don't do this place justice. I loved every exhilarating minute we were there.

Here are more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment