Saturday, October 9, 2021

Driven to Art

This artwork is by Franz Johansen. It's hanging at the Church History Museum of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in downtown Salt Lake City.

I wrote about it and why I felt very driven to see it in person on my Instagram, but I'm going to post more pictures of it here as well as more about the visit.

We went straight to the information desk when we arrived at the museum. I told them, "I'm here to see a work of art. It's called 'The Rod and the Veil.' Do you know where it is?" 

The two little old ladies behind the desk looked at me blankly.

"I can show you a picture of it," I said.

"That would help," said one of them.

So I showed them a picture I'd found when doing an Internet search.

"Oh! That one. It's by the bathrooms here on the ground floor."

We found out it's now called "The Iron Rod." When we asked another worker at the museum, we found out the artist changed the name to fit the theme of an art contest.

I felt it deserved a better spot; but indeed, there it was in a narrow hallway right outside the bathrooms. 

It was a little difficult to take good pictures. People stared as they walked in and out of the restrooms. Some wondered if we were waiting in a line. We received some interesting looks. I imagine they wondered why I was so entranced and taking so many pictures. My husband used my phone to take the one of the young boy's face since I'm a bit short and couldn't even really see it. Here are more pictures:

After the highlight of our visit, we walked around the rest of the museum. The exhibit on Suffrage was interesting. I liked the embroidery on this dress.

And this quote, though my youngest daughter was a little bothered and said, "That implies some women don't think."


No comments:

Post a Comment