Saturday, October 2, 2021

Antelope Island in Fall

Last Tuesday, I went to Antelope Island with some of my family members. The island was shrouded in dust or smoke when we first approached it from the causeway. We could barely see anything. It was also windy and cold. We were concerned. I'd read that toxic dust is a problem because the lake is so shallow right now. Was it healthy to be there? 

I was also concerned there was no view because of the thick air. Half of the reason we go to the island is for the view. I love how wide open the world usually feels there. 

This visit to the island, I wanted to see the blooming sagebrush. I love blooming sagebrush. Fortunately, the blooms we could see helped keep us there. 

As the day progressed, the air cleared and warmed. We ended up having a wonderful time. My brother's wife and daughter, who live in Virginia, met up with us. I was especially glad conditions improved for their sake.

First, we ate a very windy, cold picnic at a pavilion. 


After lunch, we walked the long way down to the water.

On the way, I took a few pictures. 

I like the look of these grasses.



I was really surprised by how shallow the lake is right now. I've been to the lake many times, but never saw these rocks exposed. 

Here it is looking the other direction, toward Buffalo Point.

It was fun to see the rock spiral someone made. 

We brought a kite. My husband flew it. He said it was the easiest time he's ever had flying a kite because it was perfectly windy.

I love how happy his face is when he's flying a kite. It shines with pure joy.

When everyone was hiking up to Buffalo Point, I was going to stay in the car with our daughter who has Down Syndrome and who is on the autism spectrum. Fortunately for me, she'd already had plenty of time in the car while we walked to the water. She was ready for a walk. With lots of encouragement and singing by me, she managed to make it all the way to the top of Buffalo Point. I was happy. 

It was fun to see all the baby sagebrush up there.

And the view of course.

That blooming sagebrush is still my favorite. I love the rocks up at the top of Buffalo Point.

I posted this on Instagram, but I like it. It shows my daughter, my sister in law, and my niece up on Buffalo Point.

Antelope Island is one of our favorite places to visit here in Utah.



No comments:

Post a Comment