Friday, September 16, 2011

Sunflower September and Spice Jars

Mixed in with tall, golden grasses, sunflowers are covering the sides of the freeways right now. They are beautiful.  It seems like there are more this year than last.

Speaking of sunflowers, I discovered these candy and chocolate covered sunflower seeds a couple of years ago while we were living in NY.  Back then, I could only find them online or at an Amish market.  Here in UT, at the Sunflower Market, they call them "sunbursts."

Just for fun, I couldn't resist organizing them into a little 4 inch spice jar. I love these spice jars.  They're from Simply Organic.  I love their spices.  Just looking at spice colors makes me happy and the jars are so reusable!
 I've had a vision of using them as tiny flower vases for a while.  
I can envision a bunch of them lined up on a window sill or down the center of a table.  Can you?  

These pictures make them look bigger than they are, like the size of a canning jar, but they're really small. I've always loved tiny things.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, I definitely need to search these "sunbursts" out at my local Sunflower Market. I have a fondness for little jars as well. They make me happy too--especially with the beautiful flowers and colorful candies. I think they would qualify as "healthy" candies, wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jars! I have a thing for jars and glass too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the candy coating thin or is there only one sunflower in each? They look big.

    Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sunbursts are actually tiny. Thin coating of chocolate and candy. Some are still sunflower seed shaped. Most are rounded by the coatings.

    Yeah, they probably are healthier than some candies. Sort of like peanut M&Ms only sunflower seeds. The flavor is clearly sunflower seeds. Unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you look at the sunburst picture that has my hand on the left side of the container, you can sort of see the size of the sunbursts. They are maybe the size of my pinkie fingernail. And I have small hands and short fingernails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, chocolate would make the difference. I was thinking they were like Jordan almonds.

    ReplyDelete