Monday, April 19, 2021

Explaining Myself

I'm currently reading a book called Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life Through the Power of Storytelling by Matthew Dicks. I'm not done yet, but so far I highly recommend it. 

We all tell stories at the dinner table, with our friends and family, maybe in church, or in other settings where we want to share or teach something. I want to tell interesting stories. Dicks has won many storytelling competitions. I wrote the previous two posts in an effort to practice what he teaches. 

I was only half way through the book when I wrote the first "Artist" post. Now I'm about 3/4 into it. After learning each new concept, I have gone back to the "Artist Revised" post and fixed a few things. Even last night just before bed, I read about how endings shouldn't be bold statements. So, I went back and chopped off the ending this morning. It's possible I will continue to revise that post to make it a better story. Or I may just move onto the next one.

My plan is to occasionally practice true storytelling here. I may or may not post the pre-revised versions. I may change names. I probably won't remember everything accurately. The stories won't be perfect. I'm okay with that. 

By the way, I feel like every post needs a picture. I took this one a few months ago when I was on a walk. It's part of an east-facing door to a maintenance access area at our local rec center. I love the blue, the shadows, the weeds, and the reflection. 

Writing stories about the past will cause me to reflect on transformative moments in my life. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment