Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines Present

This is going to be the centerpiece on our dinner table tonight. I wish I could bring the sunshine, clouds, and blue sky into the house too, but my new glass pitcher (a gift to myself!) and ice balls will have to do.
I'm not a member of Pinterest, but I have visited a few times. On that site, I saw variations of ice balls in rainbow colors (for outdoor fun) and learned they use food coloring and water in water balloons (freeze them) to make the balls. 
I thought a single color in a glass container would make a unique centerpiece. 
Blue might also be very cool. 
I love ice. It has enormous potential as artwork. Why don't more people work with ice?
Did you know the ice castles moved from Midway, Utah to Silverthorne, Colorado? Here's the link to their new site.When I visited the Midway ice castles last year, I asked Mr. Christensen about adding color. He says they don't do that. I like the natural colors and I think it would be cool if they had a small area where they tried using pops of color just for fun. Or they could make a color cave. Seems like inside it would melt less. Even if it melted and colors mixed into the snow, that could be beautiful and interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I love those and want to try some too! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take off the balloons before "serving?" Beautiful idea, and we may borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The balloons come off relatively easily. Yes, you take them off right before putting them in the glass container. I recommend waiting until right before you put it on the table rather than putting the balls and container back in the freezer. The glass frosted over and the balls fused to it and each other in the freezer. Once everything melted it was fine, but it looked better in these photos, right when I first put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful idea. Freezing something like gaterade in the balloons would be a fun way to get the color and it would still taste good when melted.

    ReplyDelete