Saturday, August 6, 2011

Suburban Farm Park

 It's not just a working farm with sheep, horses, goats, pigs, turkeys, rabbits, cows, and chickens.  It has atmosphere. On a very large piece of property right off of 9th East and I-215 is a place called Wheeler Farm.  Many, old, beautiful trees line walkways around large expanses of mowed grass and gardens where loose chickens, ducks, wild geese and pigeons feed and wander.  Big old barns, old historical buildings, and a farm equipment museum are also on the property.  There are picnic tables, restrooms, a party barn, a community building, a pavilion, and most recently an amazing two-story, fort-like playground with a huge slide.

It's not "just a farm."  It's more like a really great park.  It's not just for kids.  It's a place to exercise, walk, and think.  It's a place of community and seasonal celebrations.  And it's all free unless you take a wagon ride into the wilder side--I think that's 2 dollars a person-- or for some holiday events, or if you want to reserve the big building for a wedding or the pavilion for a group picnic.  But there are plenty of things to do for free and plenty of room to do it in.

Last night after dinner and before a movie, we went there to walk .  We should have stayed and skipped the movie.  Monday morning with the kids, I'll go back-- assuming I can get them up early enough. When I tell them about the new playground, I think they'll be motivated.

3 comments:

  1. I've still never been there. Next time we're in town I want to go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wheeler Farm. I love the tree you found. I don't remember seeing that one.

    ReplyDelete