Friday, October 15, 2010

Copper Mine

Kennecott Copper Mine produces 1/4 of all the copper mined in the U.S.  It's one of the only manmade structures that is visible from space.  We went there today.  Not space.  To the mine.  Though going to space would probably have been more fun.  But we had fun at the mine.  They have a great gift shop and the movie they show in the visitor center was educational.  The kids refused to pose for pictures.  I respected that, and I'm weary of seeing pictures of myself, so you get to see an edited view of  me and one of the very large tires of the very large trucks they use to transport the ore from the bottom of the mine to the surface.  It's amazing, and a little sad, what they do to the earth to get to the copper.  The visitor center does a good job explaining how important copper is to our high-tech world and how the company attempts to minimize the negative impact it has on the environment.

1 comment:

  1. I remeber visiting Kennecott Copper Mine lol that tire on display is SO HUGE O.o I remember it was annoying because I had bad reception there for my cell phone...but it was really nice to be there anyhow :)

    ReplyDelete