Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Asian Market

I have a good friend from Thailand. Today, she took me to Ocean Market, her favorite Asian grocery store here in SLC. Now my kitchen smells like basil. Last month, she made some green curry and gave me some to take home. It was fabulous. She's a healthy eater, so she uses soy milk instead of coconut milk in her curry. I didn't miss the coconut milk at all. Delicious. The curry also had little round green eggplants in it, so I was pretty excited when we found some at the market. They also had Thai chilies. So exciting. I wasn't very interested in the Japanese mochi, but my friend insisted on buying it. We ate some in the car and then she let me take the rest home for the family. It strangely reminds me of Turkish delight. Also, did you know there's such a thing as BROWN jasmine rice? I was seriously excited when I saw that. I thought jasmine only came in white. Yeah, it's UT, but I still felt like I had a seriously cultural experience today.

3 comments:

  1. Good to know about the brown Jasmine rice. I still like coconut milk though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John would be pretty excited about all those discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, next time John is in town I definitely want to take him to this store.

    Also, I bought coconut milk while I was there for my curry. I love it. The brand she suggested is better than what I've seen in regular grocery stores. I should have written down the name; the can got thrown out. This was thicker, less watery, than regular-store c. milk. I just wish I'd made twice as much curry. All the leftovers went to work today and curry sounds yummy right now. Guess I'll be making more sooner than I planned. :)

    ReplyDelete