Friday, December 30, 2011

Honoring My Preferences

A while ago when my husband offered to get me a drink, he automatically started filling up one of our little colorful plastic cups that I always use. We've had them for years. They're a perfect size for children. "Oh, but you prefer a glass glass, don't you?" he said. Then without waiting for my full response, he poured my drink into a glass like the one above. I felt loved and pleased by his acknowledgement of my preference. Then I was a little sad and surprised when I realized how rarely I do this for myself. Sometimes I don't even know what I want. Little things matter and bring me joy.

The habit of ignoring my preferences probably came from years of self-sacrifice as a wife and mother. There's nothing really wrong with that. Now I realize it wasn't necessary to give up some simple pleasures. I want to get back in touch with those preferences. They are part of who I am and they make me happy. So one of the resolutions I have is that when I discover a preference and I can honor it, then I will. If I want to use the bright orange bowl, I'll use it. If I prefer the softness of the light brown towels, I'll use one. If I'd rather have dark chocolate than light, I'll eat some. If I'd rather ride my bike or dance around the house than walk on the treadmill, I'll do that.

Yes, sacrifice is still an important part of my life. Sometimes I encounter things and situations I don't prefer and because of love, I bend. But when I have the opportunity, I want to show myself a little more love and give myself a little more joy by realizing and acting upon my preferences.

1 comment:

  1. Living with just two of us has helped me refine my understanding of our preferences and respect them. It really does make life more simple. You need less if you have and use what you like.

    ReplyDelete