Monday, December 26, 2011

Cake Stand

Before Christmas, my children kept asking me, "What do you want?"

I have trouble wanting to want things. I like the minimalist way of thinking. I've moved twice in the past year, so I've learned to see too much stuff as a burden. But when people kept asking me what I wanted, I couldn't help but think of a few things that would be nice to own-- like a cake stand. I like parties. I've seen cool displays of cakes where they used stands of all sorts. So when my  older daughter asked, "What do you want for Christmas?" I said, "A cake stand."

We went to the mall to see if we could find one. I'm not a fan of malls. Sometimes I feel psychologically and spiritually mauled in the mall. But we found cake stands. The ones I liked most were clear glass and very expensive. I didn't even entertain the idea of having one with a lid.

Imagine my surprise when I found a cake stand in a thrift store-- with a lid. Yes, it was covered with awful paint both on the lid and the stand, but thanks to my sliding glass door painting experiences, I was pretty sure I could scrape that paint off.

<-- BEFORE

Who needs to decorate a glass container when you have a beautiful dessert that can show off itself??!! Fortunately, the paint scraped off easily.




So now I have a cake stand with a lid. Yeah, it cost me $19, but I looked on-line and saw similar stands for at least $50. The lid will come in handy. Our daughter who has Down syndrome and autism LOVES cake and has dug into a few when unsupervised. This lid will prevent that trauma. Then I think of outside parties with bug-free cakes, cupcakes and pies. It was energy and money well spent.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice. I might ask to borrow it sometime. And you can store it in your cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked for a cake stand one year and have absolutely loved it. I don't think you will regret it at all - however, it doesn't sound like you received it as a gift. The story seems to indicate that you hunted it down and purchased it yourself. What did your family end up giving you for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. The cake stand ended up being from Santa. I got a nice nylon kite and some beautiful earrings too. It was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way the weather has been lately you can probably fly your kite sooner than later! So glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I have made some by gluing candlesticks to glass platters--but you have to get it balanced just right. IKEA has some nice plastic doilies washable that I put under the cake, on the stands. LOVE cake stands! Congratulations! Good job scraping off the painting--I agree, much better plain. My girls don't know it, but if I see a thrift store cake stand I buy it so I can each give them one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, is this the kind that you can turn over and use as a punch bowl? The wide plate would be the base, and the lid would set down on top of the bottom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's funny John. I would have never thought to try that...... Brilliant! I just got up to see if it works and it does! I now have a punch bowl too! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete