Friday, October 4, 2013

8


"It's really dark. Maybe we shouldn't do this," said my daughter to her friend Elizabeth.

I agreed but kept my mouth shut-- feeling sure they would abandon the plan.

"No, it's okay. I brought flashlights!" said Elizabeth. She came over to our house prepared to spend the night.

The goal was to find things outside that would match colorful little pieces of construction paper in the bottom of an ice cube tray. My daughter planned this activity for earlier in the day, but Elizabeth arrived late. How could they see well enough to match and find anything? How could they stand the cold?

Wearing jackets and carrying flashlights, they went out through the sliding back door. My son went with them. I could hear them talking and laughing all through the front and back yards.

They came inside about fifteen minutes later full of smiles and with a matching object for every color. I was surprised.

"Look how pretty," said Elizabeth. She showed me the pink rose she picked in the cold darkness.

I was glad I kept my pessimism to myself.

1 comment:

  1. She is so creative! What a fun activity. Glad that she was brave and went ahead anyway. I bet it made it an even better scavenger hunt with flashlights! And gorgeous colors. :)

    ReplyDelete