Monday, October 7, 2013

10

"Mom, I jumped up about half the stairs," he said. We have about thirteen carpeted steps from the basement to the main floor.

"I heard you. It sounded like you were falling up."

"How is it possible to fall up?"

"It just sounded like you were falling up." He'd crashed loudly each time he landed.

"Mom, I'd like to start practicing a talent. But I don't know what talent to practice."

I guess the jumping made him think about his skills. He told me about a guy who is really good at spinning signs for advertising attention. Then he showed me a couple of Youtube videos of the guy's amazing spinning.

"Mom, do you think I would be good at that kind of stuff?"

"Yeah, probably."

"But it wouldn't be a good career."

"Probably not. Maybe jumping could be your talent?"

"Oh, there was this one person who came to our school who could jump higher than his height."

He demonstrated how high using our kitchen wall. Then he kept jumping around the kitchen.

All that exercise must have gotten his appetite going. A few minutes later he decided to put a frozen pizza in the oven.

"Maybe cooking could be your talent?"

"No. No way. No way. I'm not good at that."

In the process of putting the pizza in the oven, the pizza slid off the pan.

"Uh, Mom, the pizza fell in the oven."

"I guess you're right. Maybe cooking's not your thing."

He laughed.

He's been spinning and jumping around the kitchen ever since.

4 comments:

  1. could he do those up-stairs jumps again? I'd love to see a video of that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard an NPR article about a school study where having students jump up and down between classes (so total of 15 minutes day) made significant difference in bone density. Jumping helps young bones grow! Reason for trampolines and tigger children!

    ReplyDelete