Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Glad You're Alive

(Me and My Mom Somewhere between 1967 and 1968)
I used to have trouble accepting happy birthday wishes until I realized when someone says "Happy birthday" what they often mean is "I'm glad you're alive." At least that's what I often feel when I say those words. I'm happy the person is here on this planet and part of my life. I am thankful for them. Of course I wish them happiness on their actual day of birth too, but some days, even some birth days, just aren't traditionally happy. And that's okay. Life isn't about being emotionally happy and having fun all the time. Peace matters more. Learning matters more. Light and goodness matter more. 
I am grateful for my parents for teaching me the truth. I'm glad they are alive too.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and by the way, this was just a thinking post. Overall, I did have a happy birthday this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you are alive and that you had a great day on top of it. Jane looks like such a baby in this post. I suppose we were all babies when we had our babies. No energy to have them when we are "grown up."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both look very young in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very very happy you are alive and my aunt!

    ReplyDelete