Sunday, July 24, 2011

Girls Who Climb Trees, Holding Babies, and Yellow Watermelon



 (Not all at once! When I read the title of this post to my son he said, "Wow, you're good at multitasking!)


I climbed a lot of trees when I was a young girl.  Not everyone is able or wants to kick off her shoes, reach out her arms, curl her toes and thighs against rough bark, and pull herself high up the trunk and onto thinner branches.  It's easy to feel capable and powerful when you've made it and are standing or sitting above the earth, when you've overcome fear and exerted yourself where many can't or won't. Being in a tree gives a new perspective.
When did the tree climbing stop?  When did the feelings of inconvenience, the lack of effort, and the fear of the pain of falling become more powerful?  When did I allow myself to become so weak that even if I wanted to climb, I couldn't?

I was tempted to insist she descend at once.  Instead, I took pictures and felt relief when she finally climbed down.

Once the surgery is over, the arm is healed, and the strength returns, I think I'll climb a tree.

And I'll hold a cute, strong, squirmy baby like my little nephew with both arms as tight as can be.
 And I'll be able to hold a fat smile of watermelon or a large fancy sandwich with both hands and bring them to my mouth without smashing them into my face or losing half of what's inside.
Have you ever tasted yellow watermelon?  I didn't even know it exists until yesterday when we were in a grocery store in Idaho Falls, Idaho.  Looks a little like pineapple when it's all cut up in the bowl.  No surprise, it tastes like watermelon.

1 comment:

  1. My mom was a tree climber but I was a big chicken. I do have daughters that love to climb trees and I love that they do!

    What an adorable squeezable nephew you have there! He looks like he can't wait until you can hold him.

    I've never seen yellow watermelon either but wouldn't it be beautiful in a fruit salad!

    ReplyDelete