Saturday, November 25, 2017

Stansbury Island

My husband, a scout master, heard about Stansbury Island 
(the second biggest island of the Great Salt Lake) 
and wondered if it might be a good place to camp or hike. 
Spontaneously, we decided to drive out there this afternoon.
It's definitely not as nice, maintained, or developed as Antelope Island. 
Plus, Antelope Island has buffalo. 
We were joking and calling the cows on Stansbury Island "Stansbury buffalo."
They are the only "wild life" we encountered. Here's one pictured below.



The advantage of Stansbury Island is you don't have to pay to drive onto it.
The disadvantages are abundant: the road is not paved or maintained, there is a ton of litter,
there is only one outhouse at the overlook at the end of the road (bring your own toilet paper), 
and there are no picnic tables, developed beaches, pavilions, or anything like that.
That's because it's not a state park. 

Most of the land is privately owned, so there are no trespassing signs everywhere, 
including near interesting rock formations that you can't even approach without trespassing.
The only real destination is the overlook. 
I took the rest of the pictures that follow while at that overlook.
The ground almost looks covered in snow, but it's just white sand.

On Instagram, the pictures I show were taken from the road in the middle of nowhere, 
where Google said, "You've arrived." If you know me, you can follow me @debrog5.

If you want to really experience an island of the Great Salt Lake,
I suggest skipping Stansbury and driving up to Antelope Island.

Even so, this is a place I'd never been. 
I like the pictures I took, though I did crop out some unsightly stuff.
My guess is the sunsets here are often gorgeous.
We were mostly in the car, so we got through quite a bit of our book on cd. 
It was worth the adventure.






No comments:

Post a Comment