Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Flower Surprises


While I was raking today, I was happy to see the same tiny blue flowers (just a little bluer) here in UT that I used to find in grassy fields by Oneida Lake in upstate NY.  Now that it's really spring, I've been missing the trees and lake near where we used to live.

<---Utah Flowers




<--New York Flowers-->




Violets in grass remind me that my parents' front yard used to be full of violets in spring.  You know flowers and leaves of wild violets are edible, right?  They're full of Vitamin C. You can put them in salads or in desserts. Just wash them and make sure they haven't been sprayed with chemicals.



The daffodils in the yard have finally bloomed.  They are so pretty.  Oh!  But DON'T EAT THEM.  Turns out they are poisonous.

4 comments:

  1. We still have lots of violets in the yard, even though there is no grass. You should be able to find enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you know this how? It almost sounds like the beginning of a great mystery-murder, the poisonous daffodils....

    And are UT flowers bluer because of the UT light? East coast lighting is greyer...I would love to see the two flowers side by side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Writing about violets made me curious about daffodils so I just Googled it. I found multiple sources about toxic daffodils. I don't think they kill, but you'd be mighty uncomfortable if you ate one.

    I believe it's the soil chemistry that causes color variation in the same types of flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful flowers! Of course today they are all covered in snow. I think that perhaps the violets are two different varieties.

    ReplyDelete