Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Backyard Blossoms

We live in a mountain desert.  I don't think it's supposed to be as wet, cold, and green as it has been this spring.  I've had inner ear trouble, so no bike rides for me.  I'm looking forward to warmer, healthier days. Hopefully, it will stay just warm enough to keep the apple blossoms from freezing.

Before we entered into our contract to buy our current home, we didn't know we'd have an apple tree in the backyard.  It's a sad little tree that should have been pruned down a bit before it started blossoming.  The sellers of our home explained their ex-son-in-law over-pruned the tree a few years ago and made it "ugly."  "It'll look a lot better once it has leaves again," they said.  I think it's getting there.




I'm not sure what to think about this tree.  It's some kind of dwarf Japanese maple I guess.  The sellers said it is, "very old."  Should I prune it too?  I'm thinking of googling Japanese maples and seeing what shape makes them look best. I don't really like how it hangs over the sidewalk.

3 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have a Japanese Maple that is very old because they don't like our climate much. If I remember correctly you shouldn't prune the Maple until winter. If you prune it now it will send out a lot of new branches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Japanese maples. We tried to get one to grow in our yard last summer, but it didn't make it even a few months. My mom knows a thing or two about them. Give her a call or send her an email. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lawn looks nice a green and the blossoms and maple are beautiful. Hope your ear is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete