Friday, January 7, 2011

Let Down and Up

Do you feel sad when a blogger you normally read goes on a blog vacation?  I do.  I realize I may have let a few people down by my blog vacations.  Maybe those people have quit wondering and looking to see if I'd ever blog again.  Which is fine.  I still occasionally wonder about a few bloggers that I used to read.  But I've lost some links and don't know where to find them.  Sad.

Confession time.  I have several blogs.  Some of them are more inactive than this one.  The only slightly more active one is a private family blog.  That's where I feel comfortable sharing more details, locations, and names.  A couple of her posts ago, my sister put a link on her blog to that private blog.  That link might be bit of a let down for anyone who clicks on it.  So, just to be nice, I'm going muster some confidence and give you an edited version of a recent post on that blog.

Here it is:

The word of the year idea is to choose one word instead of a string of New Years resolutions.  The one word can represent your intention and focus for the year.  The idea is to act as if that word is already part of your life, to let it motivate action.  Most people set goals and try to do things while hoping that once they achieve the goal they'll gain the feeling which is reflected by the word.  That often doesn't work.  They achieve the goal and still don't feel the feeling because it's external change rather than internal change.  You can repeat your word of the year to yourself frequently.  You can say to yourself, "What am I going to do right now, today, to feel or be that word."  Those external goals and your belief in your ability to achieve them can be part of it.

Last year, my word was Courage.  It took courage to get my ears pierced, to encourage my husband to find another job, to accept the new job, to put our house on the market, to leave our house, to drive across the country as the sole driver of our minivan, to live in a very small house with a fairly large family, and to do a hundred other smaller things.  It was a good year for courage.  I still need it.   

My word for this year is Confidence.  It is similar to Courage I suppose.  Trust, belief, and hope are part of it.  

4 comments:

  1. Deb, Thanks so much for sharing this post. I am grateful when others will share their wisdom with me. The word idea is brillant! It is so much easier to keep a single word in your mind rather than a list of things to do. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Tried to fix it from my end. I want everyone to know how great you are and what a good writer! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you doing that or talking about it last year, the one word thing. And a few days ago I found the perfect word for myself to do the same thing for 2011....problem is now I can't remember what the heck the word was! Shucks, I guess I'm off the hook! But I still love this idea and I do hope I remember my word soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do miss blogs updates when there aren't any. They often take the place of TV, radio, and mail.

    ReplyDelete