Sunday, January 7, 2024

Crestwood in January

After nearly a week of being inside a lot, my daughter and I decided we wanted to take a walk. 

There was sunshine and blue in the sky as we entered Crestwood Park yesterday morning. Clean, fresh snow was everywhere. We weren't even out of the parking lot before I started taking pictures. 

A few hundred feet into the park, we came across a man who was carrying a camera. It had a large lens attached to it.

"Have you taken some good pictures today?" I asked him. I was sure he'd say yes, because of the beauty surrounding us. 

"Not here," he answered.

I was surprised. I wondered what he thought was a good picture. 

"I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder," I told my daughter. I was still in awe of the beauty around us and couldn't imagine how you couldn't take a good picture there.

Maybe what makes a good picture is more complicated than that. Maybe to the man in the park it is more than capturing beauty. As an untrained phone photographer, I can guess there's probably more to a technically good picture.

My goal is to take pictures of things I find beautiful or interesting. If the picture turns out to be easy to look at that's a happy bonus. 

As we walked along, I saw a snow-covered stump that was asking me to put a hand print on it, so I did. I could tell the picture wouldn't show the print well. There probably wasn't enough contrast. A few yards later, we came across another stump that was facing a different direction. It had slightly different lighting. I made another hand print and took another picture. I was confident this one would show up. 

This particular picture may not be beautiful, but because I captured what I was after, it's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment