Sunday, May 22, 2022

Beyond Tunnel Vision

Yesterday, my youngest daughter and I were walking along the Jordan River Parkway Trail. We saw several tunnels like this one that go from the trail down toward the river. It made me wonder how were these tunnels created: by water, animals, or people?

My word for the year is "vision." The idea was to try to get myself to see beyond what is just in front of me. I am good at dealing with and surviving my present circumstances, but I've not looked much beyond what's in front of me. They call that narrow way of seeing "tunnel vision." I'd like to be able to work toward dreams and goals. I want to care about my potential and my future. I admire people who are working toward plans, people who have vision.

I just did a search on the opposite of "tunnel vision." There isn't an exact antonym, but I did see "clear sight" and "multi-vision" as possibilities. I like the idea of clarity. I like the idea of a broader and varied view.

So far, I have not done well with having true "vision" this year. For a long time, I've been in a tunnel of opposition. Even so, there are some quotes that I've found that help me think more about the concept:

"Where you look is where you go." (from Noelle Pikus-Pace, retired skeleton racer.)

"He keeps dancing until it rains." (from Mel Gill discussing a 100% successful Native American rain dancer he knew.)

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." (Falsely attributed to Winston Churchill among others with no firmly known origin.)

I also like the following from THIS source. It's also applicable to how we see ourselves:

 "Seeing Others Through God's Eyes

  1. Study the life of Christ. The best way to understand how to see as God sees is studying the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. ...
  2. Pray daily. In your daily prayers, ask God to help you start seeing people as He sees them. ...
  3. Show more compassion. ...
  4. Don't focus on outward appearance." 

Ideally, I'd like to see myself and my life like God does. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed reading your blogs last Sunday. I very much enjoyed reading this one and the one for this week about conglomerates. Very important ideas. Makes me want to share them with others in the family.

    ReplyDelete