Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Where I Read

Yesterday, an Amazon delivery person took this picture of my front porch. You can see the package by the doormat. 

Lately, I've been spending a lot of time reading on the bench there on the left. In the morning, the house provides shade. In the afternoon, a big whitebud tree protects me from the sun most of the time. I love sitting there while I read. 

I do look up from time to time. Sometimes it's when I finish a chapter, when cars drive by, as people walk past with their dogs, or when birds loudly play in the tree. The occasional distractions help me feel grounded in present reality. They give me time to think about what I'm reading. At the same time, I can tune it all out if I prefer.

My other favorite reading location is in the backyard on the hammock. That's best in the later afternoon when it's in the shade. Trees and sky capture my attention from time to time. I'm mostly unbothered when my neighbor's dog barks. The only problem with the hammock is sometimes its gentle swinging lulls me to sleep.

I was thinking this morning about how outside has long been my favorite reading place. I have memories of reading books on beaches, on a balcony overlooking the ocean, up at a cabin in the mountains, on a picnic table, on grass in parks. When I was a teenager, my favorite place to read was up on a platform in the branches of an apple tree. When I was in school, I used to study best outside. 

There's something about the sunshine, about subtle breezes, about fresh air, about nature in general that awakens my mind and allows me to joyfully focus on words on paper. I feel part of something bigger and grander when I'm outside. Being outside enhances my reading experiences.

Of course, here in Utah, I'm talking about the reading I do on gentle-weather days between spring and fall. On rainy or too-hot days, I'm inside. In winter, I'm wrapped up in blankets on the couch or in bed, or reading in a warm bathtub.

I've been reading more than usual this summer. So, unless I'm busy doing mom things, walking somewhere interesting, sitting at my computer, or shopping, that's probably where you'll find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment