Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Heart Has its Reasons


"Le cœur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point." Blaise Pascal

A couple of days ago, I was watching a Masterpiece Theater movie that we checked out from the library. A minor character, Mr. Davis the butcher, had some crazy-sounding ideas. Quentin, the main character, referred to him as proof that the town was odd when he was criticizing the place. Quentin's love interest, Angharad, says, "The heart has its reasons," to help Quentin understand he doesn't know the whole story. We find out later that Mr. Davis fell apart mentally after his three-year-old son drowned but that now he's doing really well except for his few odd beliefs. 

I was thinking about this when I was in the temple yesterday. It's easy to be critical of other people when we don't know the whole story. Being judgmental was not the main theme of the movie-- just a small piece that I've continued to consider. It is good to approach people in an open-hearted, open-minded way. 

This Thanksgiving morning, I'm grateful for bits of truth no matter where I find them. I'm thankful for my parents who helped me recognize truth from a young age. I'm grateful for all kinds of books and movies that help me try to live a better life. 

4 comments:

  1. I Googled the first half of the quote this morning. The whole quote makes it clear Blaise Pascal's words were not necessarily meant to help people not judge each other as much as his thoughts about reason vs. faith. He was a Christian philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that French quote--still fits nicely with your theme. I am curious about your photo--cheesecake? Looks yummy, whatever it is. Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for your words and blog. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an apple pie. I inherited frozen crusts. Hopefully it will still taste good even though it appears the oil, flour, and water separated a bit. It sure smelled great while baking yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love smelling pies cook. And eating them! Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete