Friday, September 27, 2013

1

For lunch, we ordered a steak sandwich plate and a dinner salad at Crown Burgers. We would share the sandwich, share the fries, and enjoy our own salads with Greek dressing. Lunch is a beautiful thing. The cashier didn't look Greek or Spanish-speaking like a lot of people who work there. He was white and probably in his mid twenties. His hair was a little long; his face a little stubbly. He didn't ask if our order was to stay or go.

"You just want waters, right?" he said.

We both nodded.

"Do we look like water drinkers?" I asked.

He smiled and looked a little surprised. We probably do look like water drinkers-- white, middle-aged, dressed up in our temple best.

"You just didn't say anything so I assumed," he said.

While we sat and waited for our order, I wondered why he smiled. Maybe people don't ask his opinion very often. I worked at a fast food place and didn't always feel like I was treated like a person. It was a simple interaction, but to see his reaction made me happy.

I had mostly forgotten about that moment. I was carrying my water on the way out of the restaurant after we ate.

"Bye Waters," he called out as we walked past. He had a big smile on his face again. "Did you enjoy your steak sandwich?"

"Yes, it was great."

"Have a nice day," he said.

"You too."

I think we will.

1 comment:

  1. I love these true stories 8! Just read backwards down to this first one, and they are wonderful! Kind of got teary-eyed on this one. WHERE will you submit them? Blog published counts, but I think this is a Mormon Mommy Blog, or a beginning of a book collection. Great stuff. You are a gifted writer, and these are beautiful, inspiring, smiling-inspiring. Thank you for mentioning them on other blog or I wouldn't have found them so soon!

    ReplyDelete