Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sometimes Rough

Two or  three years ago, I touched an elephant for the first time at a zoo in Syracuse, New York.  Its slightly hairy skin felt smoother than I expected, smoother than it looked.  It was definitely smoother than this tree trunk outside the home where we are living which today reminded me of an elephant's leg.

This tree's ridges are deeper than I remember seeing and feeling on any tree. That Penske truck really wounded the poor old thing.  Sadly, some wounds take a very long time to heal. Some never do.  I wonder how the tree will cope and how it will look in spring?

The sky was so murky grey today with the current inversion.  I was searching outside for something beautiful, hoping to be cheered up somehow.  The patterns in the trunk caught my attention and the look of it brought back a beautiful memory.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your exercise of searching outside for something beautiful. I too need to be cheered up during this dreary January. Perhaps I will attempt it tomorrow. Good idea, Deb. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elephants always remind me of the time Laura said our black olives smelled like elephants. And they did.

    ReplyDelete